By Allen Wyatt for Excel.Tips.Net
Limiting Choices in an Excel Cell
When you are developing worksheets that will be used by others, you may want to limit what your users can enter into a particular cell. For instance, you might have a cell where the user should enter their department. You would obviously want them to only enter one of the valid departments for your company.
To ensure that only certain departments can be entered in the cell, follow these steps:
1. Select the cell where the user will input the department name.
2. Display the Data tab of the ribbon.
3. In the Data Tools group click the Data Validation tool. Excel displays the Data Validation dialog box.
4. The Settings tab should be displayed. (See Figure 1.)
5. Using the Allow drop-down list, choose List.
55 total views, 2 views today