By Anand Khanse
Stop Facebook from Using Your Name and Photos in Ads
Every once in a while, you get to hear the rumor on Facebook that Facebook Will Start Using Your Photos in Ads on Friday. Well, to be honest. its just that and nothing more. No such thing is happening anytime soon.
But it is nevertheless a good idea to NOT get caught unaware – as there is an element of truth somewhere in that message.
Facebook can use your photos in ads in two ways:
1. It can do so in Social Ads
2. It reserves the right to do so (in the future) through 3rd party advertising networks
Facebook’s policy on Social ads and about using your personal photos is very clearly stated:
Instead of random messages from advertisers, we’ve launched Social Ads. Social Ads provide advertisements alongside related actions your friends have taken on the site. These actions may be things like “Leah is now a fan of The Offspring” or “Justin wrote a review for Sushi Hut”. These actions could then be paired with an ad that either The Offspring or Sushi Hut provides.
Here are some facts about Facebook Social ads:
How to Opt out of Facebook Social Ads
1. Log on to Your Facebook Account
2. Click on the down arrow to the right of the Home button – at top right of your Facebook page.
3. Select Account Settings
4. Select Facebook Ads (from left hand column)
5. Click on Edit social ads setting Link
6. From Pair My Social Actions with Ads for drop down box — Choose No One
7. Click Save Changes
This excerpt is shared with permission from The Windows Club.