Tips4PC.com: Fixing Blue Screen Errors

August 16, 2012 by in Tips4PC

blue screen of death

by Mitz Pantic from Tips4pc.com

Fixing Blue Screen Errors

“Blue” is one of the favorite colors of many people including myself but not when it relates to computer problems. The notorious “blue screen error” also known as the “blue screen error of death (BSOD)” is easily the most dreadful PC problem you will ever come across in your life. And the worst part is, it pops up frequently these days no matter what windows operating system you are using.

The blue screen error has more than one faces – and at least two that I have seen so far. Sometimes the error will show up and the PC will just die, and at other times it will keep rebooting the PC in cycles. If you see the 1st kind of error, an almost dead PC, it is often the less annoying face and easy to deal with. First thing you need to do is cold- restart and see if the error goes away. Most of the time, it will go away for the time being, and you wouldn’t have to worry about it for a while until it reappears a few days later. If you have a laptop, keep pressing the power button until it reboots or take the laptop’s battery off to do a restart.

If your PC on the other hand, keeps rebooting in cycles, this is a bigger problem. Try pressing the “F8” key, to get to the menu from where you can try booting in the safe mode and stop the continuous booting cycle.

Stop the Continuous Booting Cycle

1. Go to the start menu. Right click on “computer” or “my computer” and select “properties”

2. Then choose “advanced system settings”. Press “yes” to confirm.

3. Choose the “advanced” tab on the top menu. Then choose “settings” for “startup and recovery option”. You will get the following screen as in image 1 below.

4. Deselect “automatically restart” and hit OK. By doing this, you have not fixed the blue screen error! You just stopped the PC reboot again and again.

blue screen errors

Tips Continued Here

This excerpt appears with permission from Tips4PC.com.

Tips4 PC

About Tips4 PC

Tips4PC.com provides free computer tips and advice for anyone who wants to learn something new. All the information is written in an easy to understand way.

20 Responses to Tips4PC.com: Fixing Blue Screen Errors

1. Mal Miller says:

I just upgraded from Bitdefender Internet security 2013 to total security and have 'blue screen' heaps of times and can't seem to get rid of it. I think that Bitdefender is the problem but not sure, don't know what to do yet.

2. Julia G says:

Alan Montgomery,That is a known problem with McAfee,that came pre-installed on Lenovo laptops.Many gamers too have lagging problems during gaming,un-installing McAfee,solved the problem for many.Un-install McAfee(there is instruction on Lenovo’s knowledge base sites.Make sure you disconnect from the İnternet beforehand,and have a replacement ready.

• Alan Montgomery says:

@Julia G:
      Julia G, Thanks for getting back to me. It is in all-in-one desktop i have, and i discarded McAfee’s trial, and put in a full anti-virus. Also, i have the full McAfee running on my HP laptop with no problems.

3. Dale Cuffe says:

I've been a computer tech since before PCs were invented and am here to tell you that, just because it worked on your computer, doesn't mean it's going to work for everyone. I don't particularly like Norton since Symantec bought it as it tends to be a resources hog, in my opinion but Norton itself was not the cause of the problem! Julia G is correct and the root cause of the problem was incompletely diagnosed.

4. Paul R Firth says:

I have just bought a new Dell Laptop that had McAfee installed, but for some reason McAfee wouldn’t update. The laptop crashed 5 times on just updating Windows system files, with McAfee not updating I uninstalled it and installed AVG then sent it back to the shop for testing; I told them that I thought the McAfee was the root of the cause of TBOD. But they put through all the bench tests and came up with nothing and that they couldn’t get it to crash even after leaving it on overnight, so my suspicions were right and I told McAfee the same that their faulty software caused a brand new Dell to crash 5 times on just updating

5. Ed Trees says:

I frequently see blue screens in new installs. Most times it is a conflict with the video card and bios or OS. If you can boot to bios and make changes to the display settings sometimes that will work. Additionally, you can try the install using the motherboard on-board video if present.

The os is more difficult. Sometimes clients buy the OS on Ebay or like places and it was designed to run on a certain machine like a Dell notebook and they are trying to install it on a desktop.
    In the installation process certain drivers are loaded into the drive that is not compatible with the desktop configuration. Try to strip the machine of all but the basic equipment. Load the basic drivers for add-on’s before trying to install the other equipment if possible. You can also use the F-6 feature in some installs.
    The issue is much more complicated than what we can write here. Hope this helps!
    Good Luck!

6. Alan Montgomery says:

Hi,
    I have a Lenovo Idea Centre touch screen, i run McAfee. Whenever i try to download anything i get the bluescreen, and it reboots itself and leaves an error message:
    Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 2057

Additional information about the problem:
    BCCode: d1
    BCP1: 0000000000000028
    BCP2: 0000000000000002
    BCP3: 0000000000000000
    BCP4: FFFFF88001761B2D
    OS Version: 6_1_7601
    Service Pack: 1_0
    Product: 768_1

Any ideas at all??

7. dan K says:

Look, people are running around saying that Apple computers do not have problems like PC’s do and I will tell you as a Mac user, we see “blue Screen” problems with the Macs. So if anyone tells you it’s just a Windows PC problem, they don’t know what they are talking about!

8. Julia G says:

What nonsence Al Miller still lives in the 1990’s.Not that Norton was the the certain cause of his blue screens.More likely he had programs installed that conflicted with it.Millions of other users never had nor have this problem.

• Al Miller says:

Julia G…. All I can say, is that the Tech told me to uninstall any/all Norton software snd I’d stop getting Blue Screens… I did and I haven’t experienced ONE since….and that’s been 14yrs… no argument, pure fact!

• Julia G says:

@Al Miller:
        İ always respect facts,and i’ll give you another.İ’ve had the NİS on my system for several years as well,and guess what?that’s right no BSoD’s.Look the fact simply is that some security software,will conflict with some other programs,that are installed.That happens,with a number of security programs,However many of the BSoD are due to poor maintanance,corrupt RAM and hardware issues.And that’s another FACT!

• Al Miller says:

@Julia G: I agree with you that software and hardware will definitely cause problems with the computer….my cure was to remove Norton software and eliminate BSs.. Malwarebytes, Microsoft Security Essentials, Trojanhunter and [Microsoft's] Malicious Software Removal Tool have been my salvation. In 1999, Norton and McAfee did NOT offer free customer assistance, so I did not support them either, then or now…

9. Al Miller says:

My first computer [1998] was cursed with Blue Screens… at least one every two days.. I took it to the shop [for another issue] and mentioned the Blue Screens… The Tech asked me if I had Norton and told me to take it out….I haven’t had a Blue Screen since [14yrs].. IMHO, I think Norton creates those Blue Screens to give you the impression that their software ‘is protecting your computer’…There’s plenty of good softwares that protect your computer and doesn’t lock your computer up [ie; Blue Screen]

10. Al Miller says:

Get rid of ALL NORTON software and you will get rid of Blue Screens.

• Sylvia Barnes says:

Al Miller what is it with Norton software that causes the blue screens? And thank you for your comment because I have norton on my acer.

• Al Miller says:

I got my first home computer in 1998 and I was getting a Blue Screen [BS] about 3-4 times a week. Contacting the company was futile… after about 6 months, I had other computer issues and took my computer to the local tech shop and while there, I mentioned the 'BSs' and the Tech asked me if I had Norton installed; if so remove Norton… I haven't had a BS since. There are plenty of good computer softwares on the market, as well as FREE [MSE for example] without having your computer lockup repeatedly…

• Sylvia Barnes says:

Al Miller Thank you for the information.