Windows Talk: 5 Best Free Antivirus Software for Windows

March 20, 2012 by in Windows Talk

best free antivirus software

Looking for Leo Notenboom’s article “How Do I Get My Files Back…”?

By James Fisher for Windows Talk

One of the most important considerations for PC users is protecting their systems against viruses, spyware, rootkit infections and all other forms of malware. The best way to approach hardware, software, and network security is to employ common sense: not opening spammy email attachments, avoiding illegal software and dangerous downloads, etc. But even with these precautions, malware can still rear it’s ugly head. And nothing can set you back on a project more than a system crash. Here are five top-notch and free antivirus software programs for Windows:

Avast! Free Antivirus

This program has a sea scroll of protection features, including “shields”, anti-spyware, anti-rootkit, Virus Chest, SafeZone, an Intrusion Detection System, cloud services for virus database information, and real-time protection. Now in Version 7, Avast is compatible with XP, SP2, Vista, and Windows 7.

AVG Free Antivirus

This program also provides a variety of malware solution, such as Identity Protection, Anti-Virus plus Firewall, Anti-Rootkit and other admin tools.. AVG 9 also uses cloud services with their signature-based blocking to protect against white listing. The patent for its real-time LinkScanner technology is still pending.

Article Continued Here

This excerpt is shared with permission from Windows Talk.

Windows Talk

About Windows Talk

WindowsTalk’s mission is to provide access to the best Windows® and PC resources available, to be informative in understanding new technologies and be helpful in resolving PC-related problems while at the same time helping you to actually enjoy the Windows experience! Windows Talk is owned and operated by James M. Fisher, a Microsoft MVP awardee since October 2003 in the “Windows Expert-Consumer” category.

12 Responses to Windows Talk: 5 Best Free Antivirus Software for Windows

1. Kenneth Volz says:

Personally I prefer Essentials by Microsoft.
    The new system from Dell a XPS8700 with a gen 4 8 core processor is slower than the “little duo core” from Intel in Jan. of 2007 that runs at 2.13 vs. the 3.4 I7
    The antivirus that came with the system is from Mac-a-fee! Slower than death and does not perform well in sorting out spam. It does perform sell in the area of malware and virus protection.

2. Little, smart and strong…is Security Essentials.

3. I consider AVG a virus, not antivirus. It take control of the computer's navigation with his toolbar and is very hard the elimination of AVG.

4. James Lucas says:

What the best paid antivirus? I’m using VIPRE

5. Dianne Andres says:

I have Windows 7 and just use the ‘Microsoft Security Essentials” that comes with it–is this not enough?–How good is the Microsoft program–do I need another antivirus program for my personal computer?

• Jose Arellano says:

@Dianne Andres: Surprisingly that program is very good, so stay on-course with it.

• Dianne Andres says:

Thank you, so I don’t need another anti-virus program but do I also need a anti-spy ware program, like ad-aware on my computer.
        I’m a senior, so please keep it simple. When I went to school we only had manual typewriters—how things have changed.
        Thanks

• Jose Arellano says:

@Dianne Andres:
          The best and free that I use is Emsisoft Anti-Malware, but no on-demand protection.
          You can try Malwarebytes or Super AntiSpyware, maybe the Windows Defender, possibly Spybot.
          If Ad-Aware changed, it was not satisfactory when I tested them(back in ’05), so times change and it might have gotten better.
          They are all great, so pick-and-choose.

• Jim says:

@Dianne Andres:
          No MSE has everything in one

6. Jose Arellano says:

AVG, avast!, Avira, Panda Cloud, Threatfire, Bitdefender Free, Online scanners, etc.

One of those must be a fav for many.