Dave’s Computer Tips: You should junk your Java!

daves computer tips

by Dave Hartsock in Daves Computer Tips

I’m not suggesting you stop drinking coffee – I would never deprive anyone of that life giving nectar! Heck, It’s a known fact that 95% of the tech world runs on Coffee (the other 5% substitutes alternate caffeinated beverages).

What I am suggesting is that you delete, remove, and abandon Java on your computer!

Why? Well, Java isn’t needed on most computers – the odds that a user in a home environment will require Java are slim – but the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) somehow finds its’ way onto a majority of home computers. That’s not necessarily bad, but Java is “known” for a couple of traits: Poor housekeeping and security vulnerabilities.

Before I go on let me clear up some misconceptions about what Java is and is not.

Wikipedia describes Java as:

Java is a programming language originally developed by James Gosling at Sun Microsystems (now part of Oracle Corporation) and released in 1995 as a core component of Sun Microsystems’ Java platform. The language derives much of its syntax from C and C++ but has a simpler object model and fewer low-level facilities. Java applications are typically compiled to bytecode (class file) that can run on any Java Virtual Machine (JVM) regardless of computer architecture. Java is a general-purpose, concurrent, class-based, object-oriented language that is specifically designed to have as few implementation dependencies as possible. It is intended to let application developers “write once, run anywhere.” Java is currently one of the most popular programming languages in use, particularly for client-server web applications.

Article continued here

This excerpt is shared with permission from davescomputertips.com.

Dave's Computer Tips

About Dave's Computer Tips

Daves Computer Tips has been through many iterations as it has grown to what it is today! Staffed with knowledgeable authors and packed with coverage of important tech related topics...their goal has always been... “To become the best source of easy to understand, plain English computer and tech information on the internet while helping others to better understand computers and technology.”

7 Responses to Dave’s Computer Tips: You should junk your Java!

1. Elvepainting says:

I know I have Java on my computer. I’ve seen it and Adobe when I have had to go to programs, now I can’t find it and I have not deleted it, where could it be hiding? This is so strange.

2. Jake says:

Hi Dave – I have been a subscriber for many months, but recently when clicking a link this is what I get
    Forbidden

You don’t have permission to access / on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

3. MeadowMuffin says:

Wow, just Wow. How could this article get passed. This isn’t the 1st time though. I think a Great article would have been to tell folks to Un-install All the older versions of Java instead.
    I myself do not surf with Java enabled unless I have to & only for that one site (or when I’m on that site) It’s a weak link on the PC but a sometimes necessary one. BUT, for the average user that will be to complicated I understand.

@Joseph Erwin
    Pogo had some problems on Their end & if you go to the next lowest version of Java Pogo should be back working. This info is about 2 weeks old on my end so they may have fixed it by now.You may want to Google it

4. Terry says:

This is exactly why I don’t use or listen anything or anyone here they are always so wrong!!!!

5. Hanna says:

Gee, Dave, thanks a lot. I took Java off my computer like you said to do (uninstalled the program from Control Panel) and then my most important programs did not work. I did 2 restores and it still did not get me back to square one. I couldn’t even redownload and reinstall JRE from the Java website but had to get in the backdoor from Cnet. Maybe I did something wrong, but basically, I think your blanket recommendation to get rid of Java is quite misplaced and I hope others will not be caught up in that mess. There are a lot of programs in the financial arena where I work, that need JAVA.

6. Joseph Erwin says:

I’ve been running JAVA on my desktop and laptops with some games (primarily POGO) for several years without problem. In the last several months, Ive started to have a lot of problems.

POGO tells me that JAVA is required in order to run their games. Several months ago, I became unable to run POGO games on my laptop … the message I get is that I must download POGO in order to play (after running for sometime without problem).

When, I try to download I’m told that it is loaded. When I try again to run POGO games, it tells me I need POGO.

My question is, if I do uninstall JAVA on my computer, what alternative(s) might be abailable which would allow me to play POGO?

Thanks

• john says:

@
      <i know what you mean, i had to install google chrome to play pogo.—– i installed java about 5 time to get something to work